Garbage disposals are undoubtedly one of the most convenient appliances in residential homes today. While they make a great addition to any kitchen, you need to maintain your appliance to ensure they work as they should.
This article will discuss some essential garbage disposal tips to help prevent clogs and maintain your system. Let’s take a closer look at some great tips to keep your garbage disposal fresh and clean.
Tips for Garbage Disposal Maintenance
Here are the essential tips for garbage disposal maintenance:
Run Your Garbage Disposal Every Few Days
Even if you aren’t using it to break down food particles, you should run your appliance every few days. When you don’t want to grind any food scraps, use cold water to keep your system working well. This also ensures that the blades don’t rust or get jammed from lack of use. Running your disposal every few days also washes out the appliance to remove any food particles that get stuck on the sides.
Unplug the System Before Making Any Repairs
Another essential tip to consider when maintaining your garbage disposal is to cut off the power before making any repairs. If you are cleaning, unclogging, or repairing your system, it’s essential to shut off the power before you begin. This will help prevent injury that can quickly occur with garbage disposals.
Watch Your Fingers
Garbage disposals are equipped with sharp blades that break down food before eliminating it from your system. Therefore, you should watch your fingers at all times when using or repairing your garbage disposal. If possible, use tongs or pliers to remove scraps or anything you accidentally drop down your drain. If you do need to use your hands, be sure to cut off the power as mentioned above.
Avoid Harsh Chemicals
While many homeowners trust chemical drain cleaners, they can do more damage to your system. Bleaches and other household cleaners should also be avoided when you have a garbage disposal.
Clean the Garbage Disposal Weekly
Cleaning garbage disposal weekly will help you to maintain your system for years. Here is a great way to effectively clean your disposal weekly:
- Add a significant number of ice cubes to your drain and run the cold water.
- Turn on your disposal and let it run for at least 60 seconds to scrape away any buildup from the inside the disposal.
- Add one cup of vinegar and a considerable amount of baking soda to eliminate any food, grease, or debris buildup. Scrub the flaps with an old toothbrush to remove any buildup around your drain.
Some other tips for maintaining the garbage disposals include:
- Grind a lemon or orange peel to break down the buildup and freshen up your drain.
- Rinse your garbage disposal with hot water if you notice foul odors.
- If you’re worried about grease buildup, use dishwashing soap, such as Dawn to rinse your drains.
- Avoid grinding anything that doesn’t easily break down, such as potato, onion, and banana peels, eggshells, coffee grinds, and other food particles that can clog your drains.
Contact One Way Rooter for Your Residential Plumbing Needs
If you’re looking for a reliable Plumber In La Habra, One Way Rooter is here to help! Contact us to schedule an appointment and discuss your needs.